Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Eldest Child's Favorite Book - Cromwell Dixon's Sky-Cycle by John Abbott Nez


Copyright © 2009 by John Abbott Nez

Cromwell Dixon, born in 1892, showed an aptitude for inventing from a very young age. Among the items he built was a rowboat for four rowers and a mechanical fish made from windup clocks. When his inventions did not work as he anticipated, Cromwell did not despair.  He would simply regroup and look for another way to make them function. "That boy had more gumption than a gopher."

Cromwell enjoyed reading scientific magazines to marvel at the latest wonders of his time such as skyscrapers, ocean liners and automobiles. But, flying machines most intrigued him. In 1904, while at the St. Louis World's Fair, Cromwell flew for the first time in a balloon. It was then that he decided to become an aeronaut and to build his own airship. Cromwell spent months designing every detail.

His final plan was quite ingenious - his bicycle would power the airship.  Cromwell was only 14 years of age when he began building what he dubbed "The Sky-Cycle." His very supportive mother sewed the pieces that would make up the gigantic balloon to hold the hydrogen gas.  Cromwell, himself, built generators to produce the hydrogen.

Cromwell experienced setbacks. Varnish had to be applied to the balloon to render it airtight, but one night the varnish caught fire, destroying the balloon. The irrepressible Cromwell decided to begin constructing a new balloon the next day.  "It will be a better design by far than the first!" he said.

August 9, 1907 was the day of  the Sky-Cycle's maiden flight.  A crowd gathered in Columbus, Ohio and watched awestruck as "with barely a sound, the Sky-Cycle came to life and floated away, lighter than air."  Cromwell climbed to 2,500 feet, but then, unexpectedly,  the Sky-Cycle began losing altitude. The gas cap on the balloon had come loose, letting hydrogen escape. Cromwell kept his wits about him and climbed off the bike, onto the frame and refastened the gas cap, but the Sky-Cycle continued to rapidly descend. Cromwell began to lighten his load by jettisoning all non-essentials. He was able to regain control of the Sky-Cycle but there was too much hydrogen loss to continue his flight. He was forced to make an emergency landing almost two miles from his starting point.
The incredibly self-possessed boy said when he landed safely, "Why, you know, it's easy. There's nothing to be afraid of."

As I have mentioned - too many times probably -  both of my boys love to build. My pillow cushions hardly ever remain on the couch because they are constantly being used to construct forts, rocketships, caves etc. It is maddening at times, but I try to nurture their imagination - plus it means less time spent begging to play video games. I have also made sure an abundant supply of old fashioned toys such as Tinkertoys, Lincoln logs, Legos, blocks and puzzles are always on hand.

My eldest, since the age of 3, has been consistent in his desire to be a builder/inventor.  Thus, he loves any book about creative young boys.  If I Built a Car by Chris Van Dusen and  Andrew Henry's Meadow by Doris Burn are on his list of top 5 books. Cromwell Dixon's Sky-Cycle, however,  has been his absolute favorite book, hands down, for 2 years. His love for this book can be attributed to the fact that Cromwell Dixon was a real boy who accomplished an impressive feat.  Reading about Cromwell Dixon makes my son's dream more tangible. I still recall how incredulous my boys were the very first time we read about Cromwell Dixon designing, building and finally flying his own invention.

I cannot end this post without mentioning my eldest child's recent accomplishment. He is looking over my shoulder as I type this and beaming. He had been pleading for a 5000 piece Lego Star Wars Millennium Falcon building set since he was 5 yrs. old. Santa Claus is not rich at our house, nor is Santa Claus insane, so my son instead received the 1200 piece set this Christmas. All on his own, he followed the diagrams and assembled it in 2 days. That's my boy! I cannot help but feel that Cromwell Dixon's Sky-Cycle helped him accomplish what in my mind is an impressive feat for a 6 year old, by fueling his passion for inventing with each read through the years. John Abbott Nez has written an intriguing true story of imagination, perseverance, courage and skill. The illustrations are also a treat!

Caveat:  My interest in Cromwell Dixon piqued, I wanted to learn more. Sadly, I discovered that he died in 1911 at 19 years of age  in a plane crash. Thankfully, John Abbott Nez does not mention this tragic fact in his picture book and I have never told my kids, but will once they are older. This fact in no way diminished my fondness for this inspiring story.

17 comments:

  1. Nice review! I hadn't heard of this book, but I will look forward to reading it. Just think of what Cromwell could have accomplished in his life if he hadn't died so young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning Pat,

      From what I have read, Cromwell accomplished a great deal in those 19 short years. He became the first pilot to fly over the continental divide! Not too shabby, but yes how much more could he have done if he had been blessed to live a long life.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great one! I love non-fiction picture books. It's such a great way for kids to really get really interested in new subjects and to interact (and recall) through story.

    sf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hardygirl,

      I agree with you. Cromwell Dixon's Sky-Cycle would be in the boys' top 5 favorite books list even if it were not a true story but it is because it is a true story that it is #1.

      Delete
  3. Yes, there will be time for that reveal about Cromwell's death. Great to hear about this book. Has your son tried Weslandia by Paul Fleishman? About an inventive, imaginative boy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene,

      Cromwell Dixon's Sky-Cycle is his #1 book, Weslandia is #2 on his favorite book list. It is a wonderfully creative story and I have it listed to review in the next 3 weeks.

      Delete
  4. What an interesting story and I love the illustrations. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to have to hunt this book down for my collection. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. It looks like a great book. Glad I found your blog through the Comment Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating-sounding book -- it sounds like the stuff of fiction, so it's all the more incredible that it is true.

    Like Sylvia, I'm glad I found your blog through the comment challenge. (Although I have a feeling that after reading your posts, I may have to add on more shelf space for books!) (Not a bad problem to have, when you think about it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      I am glad you found my blog too. Over the years, I have bought so many books that I no longer place them on shelves. They are in bins in every room in the house. Having the covers face outward makes it easier for the kids to make selections.

      Delete
  8. Love the illustrations with a great story. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe your son put that 1200 piece Lego set together in two days! You must post a picture of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose,

      If I weren't tech-challenged I would have:-(

      Delete
  10. This book looks terrific. Thanks for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the fabulous review! I too loved Cromwell Dixon's Sky-Cycle... having written & illustrated it. I hope it might inspire kids to get up off the computer screen and go out in the backyard and build something fantastic.

    :0)

    jn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome John. It was my pleasure. Your book continues to motivate my kids to build and invent, and based on the number of comments this post has received, I think your book will be inspiring more people soon.

      Delete